Disclaimer: I am no model employee, but I do make some observations while at the workplace
I’ve worked in a fair few workplaces over the years…while at University and after graduating.
I observe there are a few types of people out there.and to put them into three super broad categories.
- Some who genuinely seem to love their job and gives it their best (rare)
- Those who may not love their job, but still gives it their best (also not that common)
- Those who clearly hate their job and do NOT do their best and clearly don’t care less about their job…but most likely they have been in the job so long that they won’t get fired.
- Some who genuinely seem to love their job and gives it their best
Haven’t met so many of these…but they do exist! These types of people are great to work with…they teach you so much, they make work fun and you can tell they like coming to work. They exuberant positive energy and bring kindness wherever they go. They seek to make lives better for other people…whether that’s by being friendly, kind and possibly bringing snacks to share with others to work. I used to try to aim to be this type of person, but I think I’ve started to burn out/wear out over time with dealing with difficult colleagues.
2. Those who may not love their job, but still gives it their best
I would classify myself as this. I don’t hate my job (most of the time), but I do believe I should give it my best…because at the end of the day…they are paying me to be there. They are paying me for my time!~ I don’t want to get fired or set bad examples for other people to follow. I try to get to work early, be organised and try to make sure I leave the workplace in a neat orderly state for whoever is there tomorrow. I think most people fit into this category…
3. Those who clearly hate their job and do NOT do their best and clearly don’t care less about their job…but most likely they have been in the job so long that they won’t get fired.
Aside from the bullies, these group of people are the hardest for me to work with. They exuberant negative energy that makes it clear that they don’t want to be there. They arrive late and have a tirade of excuses and reasons why they are late…Usually it is different excuses, but sometimes they get creative. They clearly don’t care about their job and do only the bare minimum to get by. They are not productive at work, they look at the time and only start working at the set time (if they are even there on time). They make people in groups 1 and 2 exasperated because of their lack of willingness to work hard…and it’s tiring being around these people. You know they don’t want to be there, so why are you here? No one is forcing you. Go do something you want to do, or at least do something to make your way there…
What type are you? What type would you like to be?