I am not sure about you, but I dislike arrogant people… I mean true they may have done some great things, but by boasting about it- that does not leave a great impression of you on me as a person… Do you really need to boast about what you do? That makes me think you only did those things to boast about it. #rant
So I went to a volunteer induction day to become a First Aid Volunteer for events around my town, Adelaide…So a group of about 20 people, some students, some workers and some health professionals who were interested in volunteering with this not-for-profit organization were there. But there was one lady that kept interrupting the speaker with not one, not two, not even five, but like 10+ questions. It honestly felt like she was having a private conversation with the facilitator, making all of us wait in boredom. Okay, so some of the questions were fair enough, but then she started to make them super-personal about Herself… Plus she felt the need to tell us all about her life like we cared. I found out that she is an Enrolled Nurse (la-di-da I am sure there were Registered nurses, doctors and pharmacists (me!) in that room too that didn’t bother to tell everyone else…so shut up, please! She had to make a comment about everything single thing that guy showed us…He showed us the green whistle in the kit (like portable happy gas) and she was like “Whats that?” =.= because she wasn’t listening…then he was like…it’s the green whistle…and she’s like “OH THAT”… I highly doubt she knew what it was, I’ve dispensed it quite often for the medical centre doctor bags, so I knew but I pretended I didn’t because no one likes know-it-alls. GAWDDDDDDS that woman was super annoying…
I am sorry I am so angry at her for boring me tonight …anyways…It has inspired me to make this post on how to be HUMBLE. Show you are awesome and don’t just spray it. TENKS.
- Don’t think of yourself as better than anyone else. Everyone has a unique and special contribution that only they can make. You have probably heard that quote, “Don’t look down on anyone unless you are helping them up”. A good person and team player will see others as equals.
- Good leaders will lead by example and not by dictatorship. A good leader is someone that is approachable and is also open to correction. No one is ALWAYS right and I think if someone cared to point out an error to you, thank them for being so honest and try to rectify that situation!
- A humble person that is having a conversation with someone else doesn’t just talk about themselves the whole time, they are also super interested in the other person. I am not sure about you, but I’ve had friends who love talking about themselves and yeah I can spend a whole night/day learning everything about them, but they won’t ever find out anything about me, because they are too busy talking about themselves. It makes for a boring company when you spend time with them (unless you hate talking about yourself then its fine).
- When talking to people in person, respect them! Give them eye contact, be interested in what they say and don’t play with your phone or cut them off.
- Be early or try your best time to not be late when meeting people! I am still working on this…I think it’s time to get a new watch…Respect that their time is as valuable as yours!!
- Always be open to learning and be a learner for life! Things are constantly changing and you have to keep up to date to stay in the game. If someone shows you a better way than yours to do something that makes it more efficient, safe or whatever, be humble and don’t just discount immediately what they have said, just because they are younger or a junior. Look to learn from others, whether those older or younger, they all have something to offer.
- Admit that you are not perfect! None of us have never NOT messed up at one point. We all have! It is OKAY to make mistakes… as long as we learn from them and work on ways that we can be better…It takes humility to admit that we were WRONG and they were RIGHT…
- Give compliments and encouragement to others! Just because you are super good at something, doesn’t mean that you cannot encourage others to do the same…! You never know how much your kind words can make the day of someone else :)! #sharethelove
- Be in nature, appreciate animals and small children! Isn’t that flower so intricately beautiful and perfect? Who created the corgi? Such cuteness in that fluffy butt! SO FLUFFFFFFFFFYY!! That kid’s smile is so adorable! Nature, kids, and animals can teach us so much if we are willing to learn from them.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. There is always going to be someone else that is more beautiful, more talented at something that you are. Just be the best…YOU that you can be. Compare yourself to you from 5/10 years ago! You might not be where you want to be, but at least you aren’t where you were before.
Let’s all try to be a little more humble (myself included)! It’s a lifetime journey thing, so don’t feel bad if you aren’t there yet! At least we are on our way~!
Take care and stay humble bumble bees~!